I returned earlier this week from my very first Coachella. While I’ve been to some other music festivals (Sasquatch, Outside Lands, Treasure Island), I wasn’t quite prepared for the scope and extreme weather of Coachella. It was amazing being able to wear a t-shirt and shorts at night, but the tradeoff was 100+ degree weather and hot, dry wind.
Because I was camping, I decided against any traditional makeup – no foundation, mascara, eyeshadow, lip color, etc. This was not the norm, but it was nice being able to reapply sunscreen without worrying about messing up my face. Here’s what I was glad I brought, and what I wished I had with me:
So Glad I Brought:
- New sunscreen! I’ve read that sunscreen loses it’s effectiveness with time, so I bought Neutrogena Age Shield Face Sunblock SPF 70 and Neutrogena Fresh Cooling Suncreen Mist SPF 70 . Yes, SPF 70 is intense, but I figure the higher the better in the desert. In particular I loved the Age Shield – you can rub it right into your face without any irritation.
- Baby wipes – this is obvious, but make sure you bring in wipes to the festival. It was great when the sun went down so I could take off all the sunscreen I piled on earlier.
- Hand sanitizer – there’s some in the portapotties, but they ran out on the first day.
- Jack Black Lip Balm – I wanted a lip balm with a high SPF, and this had SPF 25! This may have overtaked Fresh Lip Treatment as my new favorite balm, and it’s 1/3 the price.
Wish I Brought:
- Aloe vera: even with the nonstop sunscreen applications, I had a few burns. Aloe vera would have been nice to treat those in the evening.
- Bandanna: when the wind kicked up on Sunday to The Mummy levels, it would have been nice to have some face protection
- Sun hat: the baseball hat I brought came in handy, but a sun hat would have protected my neck and ears a lot better.
- Lipstick: While I enjoyed a weekend of grittiness, I felt a little jealous seeing lots of women with beautiful bright lips. Next time I’ll know better.