With Memorial Day come and gone, we’ve unofficially moved into summer, my favorite season. When I think of summer I think of beach trips and dinners of steamed crabs, corn on the cobs, and cold Yuenglings. Summer’s beginning calls for a celebration, and what’s more celebratory than bright pink lips?
I can already tell this is going to be the Year of the Lipstick for me, having recently picked up three (3!) of the new Maybelline Vivids which I’ll review in a forthcoming post. Short story: they’re hydrating, pigmented, and long-lasting. Very impressive for a $7.50 drugstore lipstick.
When you’re doing bright lips for daytime, it’s important to balance out the look with your eyes. I love the super chic look of just lipstick, nothing else, but if you’re willing to put in a couple more minutes of work, upper liner and mascara is the way to go. Read on to see a closeup of the eye makeup.
Here’s the quick step by step:
- If needed, even out your skin with base makeup. I used YSL’s Touche Eclat Foundation in Beige 10.
- Apply a shimmery eyeshadow the exact shade of your skin. Obviously this will depend on your skin tone, but for me the magic shade is Stila in Kitten. It’s a beautiful neutral champagne that’s my all time favorite shade.
- Next smudge some dark brown eyeliner close to your upper lashes. I used Urban Decay’s Corrupt, which is my most used liner shade.
- Put some black mascara on your top lashes only.
- Apply a hot pink with coral undertones if you have warm skin, and fuchsia undertones if you have cool skin tones. Mine is OCC’s Queen, described as neon red coral. If you don’t want to deal with the fuss of liquid lipstick, Maybelline Vivid Rose, which I bought and then realized how close it is to Queen. Good thing I love pinks and can appreciate subtle differences!
- Don’t forget blush! This is essential to balancing out lipstick, especially if you’re pale. I used the cult favorite Benetint, a liquid blush that require quick blending, but it’s a lovely reddish rose shade.
Now get out there and wow someone!