Today’s the last day of summer, but I can’t believe it’s really over. Summer is my favorite season, and Summer 2013 has been pretty epic, beginning with a free trip to Tahiti (thanks, friend’s work!), followed by a series of life-changing concerts (Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Run the Jewels, My Morning Jacket, How to Dress Well, and alt-j to name a few), and of course lots of exploring the city on foot. My best friend from home visited last weekend, and it was great showing her SF, plus a quick ferry jaunt to Sausalito.
Lucky for me, SF is gearing up for it’s warmest season (farewell Fogust!). Labor Day doesn’t have the same funeral of summer atmosphere as it did on the East Coast. To celebrate such a great summer, I pulled together a very simple look paired with an 80s knit sweater I inherited from my grandmother.
Because you want to spend Labor Day out in the sun, I did a very quick look you can easily do under 10 minutes. With practice, I can do this in 5 minutes and get right out the door (can’t be late to the BBQ!). Here’s the breakdown
- Use a tinted moisturizer to even your skin out in a subtle way. This is me trying out Hourglass’s Tinted Moisturizer, which is a bit thicker in consistency than most tinted moisturizers, but the effect is still subtle and radiant.
- Fill in your brows with a matte powder. I wanted a more intense look, so I began with taupe shadow, and then blended a shade of matte dark brown on top. I used the second and fourth shades of this Revlon ColorStay palette in Coffee Bean, which is only $3! Feel free to use eyeshadow as brow powder as long as it has a matte (maybe satin) finish. No shimmery brows! Although that might look cool in an avant garde way…
- Apply a shimmery nude shade that’s one tone lighter than your skin. For my pale, warm-neutral skin, that means Stila Kitten, a cult favorite.
- Line your upper and lower lashes with a chocolate brown eyeliner such as Urban Decay’s Corrupt (based on the length left, my most frequently used liner).
- Put on several coats of black mascara. I’m a big fan of the original Buxom Lash mascara. Get the mini! It’s only $10 ( a few more bucks than drugstore), and it’ll last just as long as the larger mascara (after all, you’re supposed to change mascaras every 3 months). Plus, the shorter wand gives you more control. Win, win, win!
- Brush on a soft peach blush to the apples of your cheeks. Check out CoverGirl Cheekers in Pretty Peach.
- Finish the look with peach nude lips, brought to you by CoverGirl Outlast Lipstain in Flirty Nude. This is a nice 90s-esque throwback shade that’s very trendy right now. Brown lips are not my style, but this has just a touch of reddish-brown that’s a nice break from the usual pink.
Now go eat lots of hot dogs before it’s too late!